Playful kittens are often curious and careless when romping around. For example, if you swallow a piece of wool thread, there is a risk of an intestinal obstruction. This can be life-threatening and should be treated immediately. What are the causes and how can you prevent an intestinal obstruction?
If cats play too wild, parts of the toy can become detached. Your cat may then swallow these small particles so that they get into the intestine. Sometimes the foreign bodies are excreted, but under certain circumstances they get caught in the digestive organ and block it - the result is an intestinal obstruction. This can also happen if your cat is playing with woolen threads, rubber bands or ribbon, buttons or small marbles.
If your cat has had an accident, injured himself or behaved in an unusual way, ask ...
If swallowed foreign bodies are not among the causes of an intestinal obstruction, a so-called intestinal invasion may be behind it. However, this is rare. A section of the intestine loses its mobility, it becomes paralyzed. The rest of the intestine can then slip over the immovable section and circulatory disorders occur. Little by little, the tissue dies at the place that is put inside one another, the food porridge can no longer be transported and excreted properly and the intestine is closed.
Even if this condition is rare: if you notice that your cat loses appetite, is limp and apathetic, vomits or behaves strangely, go to the vet immediately. He can research the causes and react to them - whether it is actually an intestinal obstruction or not.
You cannot prevent intestinal invasion, but you can reduce the risk for your cat of swallowing foreign objects. For example, make sure that your pet is only raging with toys that are stable. This means that the decorative and play elements such as feathers, threads, buttons or plastic cores are not so easy to tear out and bite. Cats should also not play unsupervised with marbles, packaging clips, ribbons and threads. Keep an eye on them and make sure your cat doesn't accidentally swallow anything.